Tabley House Houses
Tabley House was designed by John Carr of York for Sir Peter Byrne Leicester, Bt. , and completed in 1769. His son, Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bt. , later 1st Lord de Tabley, was the first great patron and collector of British paintings. He assembled a splendid collection at Tabley and in his London house during the first decade of the 19th Century, ultimately with the intention of establishing a National Gallery of British Art.
Tabley House is home to a number of important paintings collected by the Leicester family, principally by the 1st Lord de Tabley, formerly Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bt (1762-1827).
Tabley House was designed by John Carr of York for Sir Peter Byrne Leicester, Bt. , and completed ca. 1767. With its nine-bay central block facing south, flanked by pavilions and quadrant passages set well back and splendid Doric portico reached by curved stairs, Tabley is the only 18th century Palladian country house in Cheshire.
Visit the rooms in which much of the filming for the latest ITV series of The Forsyte Saga was done: the Gallery, the Drawing Room and the Dining Room. See the four great settees by George Bullock, magnificently restored by Spinks and replaced in the Gallery. .
AddressKnutsford, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 0HB
Opening times2pm - 5pm
Have you been to Tabley House? Please rate this attraction to assist others.