Woburn Abbey Houses
The Abbey is built mainly of a local stone called Totternhoe Clunch, a rather soft and porous material, which causes many problems. history of the house begins in 1145. Hugh de Bolebec founded a religious house for a group of Cistercian monks, with the monastic buildings following the usual Cistercian pattern.
A selection of some of the family silver and gold is displayed in the vaults. The Fourth Duke commissioned Paul de Lamerie, one of the finest Huguenot silversmiths, to make breadbaskets displayed in case nine as a wedding present to his second wife Gertrude.
The dining room contains the fine collection of Venetian views by Canaletto (1697-1768). The 4th Duke visited Venice while on the Grand Tour in 1731.
Woburn Abbey Antiques Centre is probably the largest centre outside London. Opened in 1967, it was the first of its kind in the UK.
There are ten species of deer in the park, looked after all year round by the Head Verdurer. Amongst them are the Pre David, which originated in China and were saved from extinction by Herbrand, the Eleventh Duke.
ABBEY GROUNDS AND DEER PARK ONLY
Open daily except 24-26 December 2005 from 10.00am to 4.30pm
By car and motorcycle (inclusive of passengers) - £3.00
Coaches - £1.00 per person
All other (cyclists, pedestrians) - £1.00 per person
1st January 2005 - 21st March 2005 - Closed
22nd March 2005 - 2nd October 2005 - Open every day
11.00am to 4.00pm last entry (closes 5.30pm)
3rd October 2005 - 2nd November 2005 - Closed
November and December 2005 opening to be advised
AddressWoburn Abbey, Woburn, Buckinghamshire, MK17 9WA
Opening times11am - 4pm
Have you been to Woburn Abbey? Please rate this attraction to assist others.