Glynde Place Houses
Glynde Place, East Sussex
Glynde Place is a magnificent Elizabethan manor house looking out from its position high on the rolling Sussex Downs over the weald. It was built in 1569 from flint and Normandy stone which was brought across the English Channel in barges. Glynde Place has been lived in over the last four centuries by three families, all related to each other; the Morleys who provided a leader of the Parliamentarian party in the English Civil War, the Trevors who provided a Bishop and the Brands who provided a leading parliamentarian.
Once inside the house there is much to see and enjoy; the long pannelled gallery with its collection of family portraits of the Trevor family; the collection of Old Masters such as Canaletto, Guardi, Zuccarelli and Batoni brought back from the Grand Tour in the 18th century by Thomas Brand whose own portrait hangs above the mantelpiece in the Drawing Room; the Speaker's Room dedicated to the memory Henry Bouverie Brand, Chief Government Whip to Lord Palmerston and Speaker of the House of Commons 1872-1884; furniture, silver, china, miniatures and embroidery all collected by the Trevors and Brands who have lived in the house for over three hundred years.
The house is surrounded by a garden giving spectacular views across the park towards the Pevensey Marshes.
AddressGlynde Place, East Sussex, Glynde, Sussex, BN8 6SX
Opening times2pm - 4.45pm
Have you been to Glynde Place? Please rate this attraction to assist others.