Edward Jenner Museum Museums
The Chantry, Church Lane
It was from this house in 1796 that Edward Jenner pioneered a vaccination against smallpox and it changed the world.
During his life he was also fascinated by geology, ballooning, poetry and natural history.
The Chantry, the house that Edward Jenner owned from 1785 until his death in 1823, was sold by his descendants in 1876. In 1885 it was sold again, to the Church of England. It then became the vicarage for Berkeley, to replace the old vicarage where Edward Jenner had been born in 1749. When the Diocese of Gloucester decided to sell The Chantry in the early 1980s it was realised that it would be the ideal home for a museum to honour Jenner.
The Edward Jenner Museum at The Chantry opened to the public in 1985. A separate building that had once been Jenner's stables was converted to house a small conference centre.
The museum has wheelchair ramps but please note that only the exhibitions on the ground floor are accessible to wheelchair users.
Although the museum has a toilet for disabled visitors this does not provide for all special needs.
1 April until 30 September:
Tuesday to Saturday: 12.30pm - 5.30pm
Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays: 12.00pm - 5.30pm
Mondays 12.30 - 5.30pm in June, July and August only
Open 7 days a week throughout June, July and August 2010
Sundays 1.00pm - 5.30pm.
October Half Term (26th - 30th October) open daily 12.30 - 5.30pm.
A visit will normally last between one and two hours. Last entry 5pm.
We are open all year round for pre-booked groups of 15 or more.
AddressThe Chantry, Church Lane, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, GL13 9BN
Opening times1 Apr - 30 Sep, Tue-Sat 12.30pm - 5.30pm
Have you been to Edward Jenner Museum? Please rate this attraction to assist others.