Edward Jenner Museum Museums
Church Lane, High Street, Berkeley
Edward Jenner lived in a beautiful Georgian house called The Chantry. Jenner's home is now a museum to honour the memory of the man and his work. The Chantry, the house that Edward Jenner owned from 1785 until his death in 1823, was sold by his descendants in 1876. In 1885 it was sold again, to the Church of England. It then became the vicarage for Berkeley, to replace the old vicarage where Edward Jenner had been born in 1749. When the Diocese of Gloucester decided to sell The Chantry in the early 1980s it was realised that it would be the ideal home for a museum to honour Jenner.
The museum has a garden of about one acre. Since Edward Jenner's residence here (1785 - 1823) the garden has slowly evolved into a 20th Century garden. To the rear of the house is the glasshouse containing the Black Hamburgh grape vines planted by Jenner in 1818. The original plants had been obtained as cuttings from the Great Vine at Hampton Court Palace in London. The vinery building has been replaced in recent years, but many of the original vines live on.
1 April until 30 September:
Tuesday to Saturday: 12.30pm - 5.30pm
Sunday: 1.00pm - 5.30pm
Sundays only, 1.00pm - 5.30pm.
[Closed Mondays, but open Bank Holiday Mondays, 12.30pm - 5.30pm]
AddressChurch Lane, High Street, Berkeley, Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire, GL13 9BH
Opening times12.30-m - 5.30pm
Have you been to Edward Jenner Museum? Please rate this attraction to assist others.