Churnet Valley Railway Transport
'The Railway in the Valley'. Cheddleton Station is located towards the northern end of the current Churnet Valley line and is the headquarters of the railway. It is one of only three original Churnet Valley Stations that have survived demolition in the 1960s and 1970s (the other two being Rushton & Alton).
Designed by Pugin and built in 1849, its existence today is only due the quick thinking of a member of Cheddleton Parish Council who prevented its demolition in 1974. It is reputed that Norman Hancock parked his car in front of the bulldozers just as the work began and managed to arrange a stay of execution until the building could be listed and its future assured.
The fledgling North Staffordshire Railway Society took over the building in the mid-1970s as a railway museum displaying small artifacts of the original North Staffordshire Railway Company (the "Owd Knotty"), and a restoration base for, initially, ex- National Coal Board Hunslet "Austerity" loco No.8, ex-LMS Fowler 4F loco 44422 and a small collection of goods vehicles and passenger coaches.
AddressThe Station, Cheddleton, Staffordshire, ST13 7EE
Have you been to Churnet Valley Railway? Please rate this attraction to assist others.